Lochbroom Woodfuels

sustainable woodfuels ~ creating opportunities

Lochbroom Woodfuels Ltd is a community-owned social enterprise based in Ullapool, in the Highlands of Scotland. We're committed to creating a reliable and sustainable firewood supply chain in our area and providing supported training and work placements for young people.

Firewood

To get the most out of your firewood, it's essential to burn seasoned wood. Freshly-cut timber can contain up to 75% water. You can get this wood to burn, but most of the energy produced is wasted in evaporating the water so you won't feel much warmth from the flames. As the firewood 'seasons' it dries out. Once the water content drops below 25% of the total mass it is suitable for burning on an open fire or stove and can be sold as seasoned wood. 

All firewood prices are inclusive of VAT at 5%.

If you'd like further information or want to order and pay by card over the telephone or by cash or cheque on delivery, call 01854 612328 or email orders@lochbroomwoodfuels.com.  Alternatively, you can order through our online shop.

Quality

At Lochbroom Woodfuels, we season our split logs in mesh bags which create even air-flow throughout the bag. We regularly measure the moisture content so that we know when it is ready to sell as seasoned firewood.  These bags measure 1m3 which is larger than standard builders tonne bags. We season our firewood in the open air before storing it under cover for a few weeks before sending it out to customers so that there is no surface dampness.

Sustainability

95% of our wood comes from sustainably-managed local forests and is felled through a felling licence, meaning that at least one tree will be planted to replace each one cut down.  The remaining 5% comes from local fellings such as clearance for house sites or power lines. 

Delivery charges

Delivery rates are based on distance. Delivery within Ullapool and the surrounding area is £2.50, rising to £12.50 for delivery to Coigach.   We are currently developing our UK delivery service, please contact us for postage prices. 

Delivery areas and charges

Pick-up-Your-Own Split Logs

Please see our opening times page for details of when our yard is open if you would like to collect your order. If you're travelling in from outside Ullapool please call us before you set off on your journey to check if there will be someone there when you arrive.

Stacking service

If you don't have time to stack your firewood, let us do it for you! Our standard charge is £15 per cubic metre bag. However, we've teamed up with a group of young pupils working towards their Duke of Edinburgh Awards to offer a free stacking service for customers unable to do it themselves through frailty, ill health or disability. For more information, call our office on 01854 612328.